Small Business Institute®
A program connecting local small businesses to the resources and management expertise of UCF’s College of Business Administration and the FSBDC at UCF.
SBI® provides confidential and professional management assistance to small businesses through consulting projects performed by MBA students.
Strengthen Your Business
Central Florida business owners participating in the SBI® program receive management consulting services tailored to fit the needs of their business. Sample projects include:
Advertising Strategy Business Plans
Competitive Analysis Customer Surveys
Feasibility Studies Financial Analysis
Marketing Plans Market Research
Awards and Honors
The Florida SBDC at UCF’s Small Business Institute program has won many national awards for its high quality projects and innovative program management.
- 2019 Small Business Institute® National Honors Won by UCF Students in Florida SBDC at UCF Program
- 2017 UCF College of Business Students Win Small Business Institute® National Honors
- 2016 Small Business Institute National Honors Won by UCF Students in Florida SBDC at UCF Program
- 2015 Small Business Institute National Honors Won by UCF Students in Florida SBDC at UCF Program
- 2014 Two Student Teams Win SBI® Project of the Year Awards
- 2013 3rd Prize in Graduate Business Plan Category
- 2013 SBI Showcase Award
- 2012 2nd Place in the Graduate Specialized Category in the 2012 Project of the Year Awards.
- 2010 1st Place in Graduate Specialized Category in Project of the Year National Competition
Now Accepting Applications for the Summer 2019 Semester
Limited space is available – first-come, first-served.
The FSBDC at UCF is now accepting applications for the Fall 2016 semester. Small businesses interested in the SBI® program must meet the following criteria:
- $500K+ annual revenue
- 2 years operating experience
- Business located in Orange or Seminole Counties or willing to meet students at UCF
- Client company must be willing to meet with student team at least 6 times during the semester
- Progam Application Fee is due upon acceptance
- $300 application fee ($500-999K)
- $500 application fee ($1M-4.999M)
- $750 application fee ($5M and over)
In order for SBI® clients to get the most from the program, they need to follow the following program guidelines:
- Being available to the student SBI team at the times the client company and student team mutually agreed upon. Depending on student work schedules it may be necessary to schedule meetings after hours or on the weekend.
- It is required that the student team meets with the client company at least 6 times during the semester.
- Maintain weekly communication, if needed, with the student SBI team.
- Making available to the student SBI team those records, files, and financial statements that the team and the client company agree are necessary to complete their project.
- Using the student SBI team in their proper capacity as “consultants” and not expecting the students to serve as interns or temporary help to do work that would normally be performed by regular employees.
- Signing a “Client Acknowledgment” of the final report at the completion of the project.
- Expecting some follow-up research and surveys to determine the quality and effectiveness of the SBI program.
- Please read the SBI Client Handbook
For more information please contact:
Assistant Director/Program Manager
Funded in part by Orange County Government